When we uploaded the first images of our steel weave fencing products on Instagram earlier this year, we were absolutely overwhelmed by the interest we received.
Our steel weave products have been inspired by the traditional willow and hazel fencing that is thought to date back to The Neolithic Period at the end of the Stone Age, as a means of dividing land and enclosing crops and cattle.
In this blog, we’ll be taking a look a little more closely at these unique products.
Steel Weave Fencing Explained
When we decided to create steel weave fencing products, we wanted them to be as beautiful as they were functional. As well as installing these fences for our own customers, such is the level of intrigue around this product, we regularly work closely with garden designers, landscapers and gardeners that are looking for something different for their clients too.
In fact, the design and aesthetic of the product become so popular we worked closely with our fabrication team to manufacture new steel weave products at the request of our customers, such as steel weave gates.
We can cover the weave in many different finishes, but we often find that customers prefer the rustic quality of the steel which has been left to the elements as a more robust alternative to willow fencing.
Construction & Installation
We’re proud to say that our steel weave fencing has been manufactured and fabricated right here in the UK with only the best British steel.
When we install our fencing, we use steel posts which are planted into the ground at intervals. This ensures that the fencing has the support and the resilience it needs to remain a fixture in any garden for many years to come.
Although we’ve taken inspiration from the classic willow fencing that has adorned so many outdoor spaces for centuries, we also knew that due to the natural fibres used in the construction process, these will unavoidably deteriorate over time.
The untreated steel will eventually succumb to the wind, rain, and other elements, creating a patina in keeping with the organic colours found in nature. This can take up to nine months to a year to occur, the result of which are patches of rusted browns and yellows which offer the perfect contrast with vibrant flowers and evergreen shrubs and trees.
Because of the flexibility that steel offers, woven steel products can be used in a multitude of different ways:
- Garden Screens – Woven steel fencing is ideal for screening things like bins, oil and gas tanks and anything else that may take away from the pleasing aesthetic of your garden space. On the other hand, they can also be used as means to shelter seating and planting areas.
- Freestanding Panels – Panels of the fencing can be utilised to create freestanding metal screens in areas that require privacy or those which you’d like to draw attention to, such as planting areas or water features.
- Woven Metal Fence Lines – The product can be used to create an entire fence line across the length of an outdoor space, including a woven steel gate for easy access.
- Increased Wall Coverage – We can use the steel fence panels to increase the height of the current walls and fences.
- Raised Beds – We can create a unique raised bed using a combination of steel weave fencing as a long-standing alternative to timber sleepers.
- Retaining Walls – Woven steel is ideal for retaining soil or banks and providing a solid structure to support and retain earth, slopes and soil. It’s practical and looks great, too.
Why Choose Steel Weave Fencing?
There are many advantages of our steel weave fencing when compared to standard fencing options, including:
- Aesthetics – Although steel is a man-made product, it offers a stunning natural appeal when left to weather, which is far more attractive when compared to a standard fence panel that has been treated with creosote or paint. It’s also a great way to really bring out the organic colour of your chosen foliage.
- Wind Breaks – For a fence to be capable of filtering wind to protect habitats and plants and insects, it must be semi-permeable. Our fencing weave is capable of protecting habitats from high winds and allowing wind to filter through to prevent trapping potentially destructive turbulent air.
- Strength – Because we construct our products from solid steel, you can rest assured that will be a feature of your outdoor space for many years into the future.
- Maintenance Free – Unlike standard fencing options, which require treatment to keep it at its best, the steel weave fencing requires absolutely no maintenance.
- Versatility – Steel is a naturally strong material and can be used for a range of diverse purposes. This means that it can be used in the ways we’ve talked about above and so much more.
If you’re interested in our steel weave products, our team will be happy to discuss your requirements. We advise a site visit to ensure that we provide a comprehensive assessment of the project to provide an accurate quotation.
If you have any questions about anything we’ve covered in this blog, or you’d like so more information about another of our other products or services, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today and we’ll be happy to help.