Self Installation Edging
How to Install Your Steel Edging
Tools Required: Hammer, hand spade, tape measure & line spray.
Please click on our self installation video to learn how easy it is to install our edging yourself. We strive to have the highest quality edging available with the simplest installation. No bots, clips just solid steel pins with solid steel edging.
1. Measure – To start with, it is important to measure your borders with a tape, so you know how much edging to order.
2. Prepare – Mark where you want the edging with a chalk line or line spray, then dig a trench to keep the edging stable using a hand spade.
The depth will depend on the application. For example, for a steel-edged pathway in a garden, we recommend that the edge finish height to be level with the grass so that you can easily mow the lawn.
Top Tip: The depth of the trench will depend on the height of your edging. We provide 100mm to 300mm high, delivered in 2 metre lengths. The 3mm option is best for lawn edging, flower borders and small paths and our 5mm is best for edging on driveways.
3. Install – Start placing the edging into the trench, making sure all heights run at the right level. Ideally using a lump hammer, hammer your ground pins through the Tube & Brace Connectors, which are already welded to the edging. Make sure the Tube lines up to the centre of the Brace. Hammer the ground pin until flush with the brace.
Continue with the next edging pieces as required, joining them up together securely with the provided pin.
Top Tip: Before placing the edging, make sure the correct side is facing into the garden.
4. Creating Curves – For a curved run, slot the first two or three ground pins through the Tube and Brace Connector. Gently curve your edging to the desired line, hammering in a ground pin at the end through the Tube and Brace Connectors to hold the edging in place. Work your way back, hammering in the remaining pins whilst checking your curve.
5. Creating Angles – For a corner run, there are 90-degree (internal connectors) and 270-degree (external connectors) right angles available. With your chosen option, simply join your right-angle sections using the Tube and Brace Connectors.
6. Finish – Once your edging is in place, you’ll need to backfill against the edging on both sides to make sure all the fixings are hidden. You can use topsoil, gravel for example.
We offer several height and thickness options: ideal for any outdoor project.
Our Steel Edging offers a no maintenance, timeless and rustic finish to any outdoor space, which is why we continuously supply building contractors, Architects, Garden Designers, landscapers and Homeowners.
Steel Edging is a fantastic way of defining parts of your garden, paths or driveways, and is often used for raised flower beds, creating clean, fine lines.
We advise that 100mm x 3mm or 5mm would be suitable for lawn edging, flower borders and small paths, whereas the 150mm x 5mm is recommended for edging on driveways to withstand vehicles.
Our 150mm x 5mm edging is also suitable for areas that require a sub-base build up as the edging acts as a strong retainer. Building contractors and landscapers often require our teams to install our Steel Edging before their final stages of groundworks as the edging sets definitive lines and heights for the contractors to work to, speeding up and simplifying the final stages of landscaping.
Lastly, our 300mm edging offers a practical solution to flower bed borders that are sloped that need terracing or generally higher ground level changes that need retaining. Our 300mm Steel Edging is also a great way to create raised beds for growing veg or flowers.
Our 3mm edging offers the greatest flexibility to create tighter curves and form smaller circles, whilst the 5mm can create sweeping curves and is more suitable for straight runs.
For tight radius curves and/or circles under 2-metre diameters, we advise that you speak to one of our sales team members during the consultation stage to determine whether we would need to prefabricate any edging before work commencement. We can fabricate all Bespoke curves and circles and can install too.
Our 6mm edging is ideal for straight runs, retaining larger quantities of soil whilst still forming gentle curves.
Your items will be fabricated and shipped just two weeks after your initial order.
Along with Self-Installation Edging, we also supply and install several other Steel Products including ESTATE FENCING, STEEL EDGING, STEEL WEAVE, DEER FENCING, GATES, RAILINGS, ARCHES & PERGOLAS, TREE GUARDS AND PLANTERS